House of Friends respite program is now meeting in-person again!
9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Sessions include 2 light snacks and program protocols have been adapted for pandemic safety and comfort.
To visit a session, find out about enrolling a loved one, or are seeking support and resources, contact Susie Petersen, HOF Director
Alzheimer's & Demential Caregivers Support
The House of Friends (HOF) is an adult care and community outreach ministry of Bethany United Methodist Church. This program is offered free of charge to individuals with dementia who are being cared for at home by family members. It is a weekly program designed to give the family caregiver a four-hour respite. Participants interact socially with others in a highly structured but caring mode. The goal is to support the family so that institutionalization can be postponed.
Activities include social time, active group and quiet games, arts and crafts, singing, worship, pet therapy, exercise, entertainment, small group sharing, and lunch.
Sign-up for HOF Weekly News HERE
- Volunteer Requirements - Sensitivity to those with dementia, completion of application and background check, completion of training, commitment to serve at least one Thursday each month.
- Companion (interacts regularly with participants)
- Program Leadership (Assistant Director, Training Coordinator, Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator, Grant Writer, Librarian)
- Service Volunteer (food preparation, data entry, Administrative Assistant)
- Specialty Volunteer (music, art, plant, hospitality, etc.)
The House of Friends is provided at no charge to all participants. It is funded by contributions, grants and annual fundraisers. Bethany United Methodist Church provides program space and in-kind support. The program receives no monetary funding from Bethany.
We welcome all donations (which are tax-deductible). Please make checks payable to "Bethany United Methodist Church, House of Friends Program" or donate online.
For more information, contact:
Susie Petersen, HOF Director, x254; Erin Temple, Director of Care Ministries, x281; Dave Lutz, Care Ministries Pastor