Saturday, May 11, 2019, 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Bethany’s Healing the Racial Divide ministry seeks to grow disciples of Jesus Christ by revealing opportunities for people of faith to understand, bridge, and heal the racial divide.
When we honor Jesus’ commandments we grow to be more like Christ.
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." – Matthew 22:37-39
Christians are called to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world so that all people may have life abundantly. Though we may all have been created in the image of God, not all share in the abundant life intended by God. Our country lives with an historical, institutional, and societal racial divide where minorities often feel discrimination and prejudice.
As followers of Christ, we acknowledge the power of God’s love to bind wounds and heal relationships broken along racial lines. This transformation can occur when we choose to share with our neighbors the love of God we experience ourselves.
If you’d like to learn more or get involved with Healing the Racial Divide, please complete the contact form below.
As Methodists, we are called to challenge unjust systems of racism.
We recognize racism as sin . . . we commit as the Church to move beyond symbolic expressions and representative models that do not challenge unjust systems of power and access. - UMC Social Principles, 2016.
You may learn more about religion and race from the United Methodist Church General Commission on Religion and Race.
The diagram below illustrates the model used by Bethany’s Healing the Racial Divide ministry. It reveals examples of opportunities on the left side which can raise awareness of issues of race. Moving toward the right reveals opportunities to achieve greater understanding. Through understanding, personal relationships and love in action, brokenness can be transformed. We seek to equip and encourage the Bethany community to pursue such opportunities.
click image for PDF
If you like to be notified of opportunities we offer, or of similar offerings elsewhere in the community, complete the contact info below and we’ll put you on our email list. You can expect to receive no more than three emails during our busiest months. Your information will never be shared outside this ministry.
Our 2019 Plans
- Host participation in MLK March. Organize a short and long version to accommodate those with time constraints. Provide education/promotion prior to MLK March for greater meaning and participation.
- Host “One Human Race” workshop at Bethany.
- Initiate relationship with a historically Black church, including opportunities for collaboration in ministry.
- Collaborate with Worship Team/pastors to encourage and explore ways to include elements of race relations in Worship, including Gospel music at 9:30 or 11:00.
- Offer “Black America Since MLK” video series.
- Host “Be the Bridge 101” four-week workshop from Be the Bridge. Goal is to provide basic understanding in order to be a better ally.
- Offer one 45-minute Implicit Bias class to adult Sunday schools.
- Create & distribute to adult Sunday school classes a “menu” of Healing the Racial Divide offerings, or activities available elsewhere, including self-study items. Also post on our website.
- Publicize community events on race inside Bethany. Explore coordinating participation in community events with historically Black churches.
- Healing the Racial Divide members to continue to bring articles/stories of racial issues/blessings to discuss at ministry meetings, or distribute via email, for our education.
- Increase staff awareness of Healing the Racial Divide activities and seek involvement for partnering in ministry.
- Create an email list of folks who ask to be kept informed of community and Healing the Racial Divide events.