Posting Date: October 2018
Reports to: Director of Inviting Ministries (membership) & Administrative Executive (mail/printing)
Status: 30 hours/week
This position fulfills duties of the Membership Secretary as specified in the UMC Book of Discipline. This person is the database manager and is responsible for entering new records and keeping member and visitor information up to date. This job demands keen attention to detail, accuracy and ability to meet deadlines as described under required qualifications. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are also required.
This position also includes supervising the print department (staff and volunteers) and oversees large mailings. On average, this is a 30 hour per week job (about 80% on membership duties, reporting to the Inviting Ministries Director; and 20% on mailing and print duties, reporting to the Administrative Executive). This job requires occasional evening and weekend meetings.
- Support the Inviting Ministries department and its goals.
- Assist with Bethany’s bi-monthly Connection Celebration (membership joining event) by preparing new member packets and ordering supplies. Be available at each Connection Celebration to print nametags and answer questions.
- Be a resource for current and prospective members for questions relating to records and church membership.
- Be familiar with the United Methodist process of membership, along with other denominational membership practices.
- Ensure the first-time visitor connection process is followed. Enter a new record into the database for first-time visitors.
- Mail letters to first-time visitors from the Lead Pastor and the Inviting Ministries Director in a timely fashion. Make sure Pastor on Duty gets names of new visitors to call that week. Provide IM Director a weekly report of first-time visitors.
- Provide first-time visitor slips on a weekly basis to specified ministry directors, pastors, and others in the process for contact and activation.
- Work with IM Director to monitor continuing visitor attendance and interest in membership.
Data Base Management and Records Administration:
- Prepare the weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to Bethany staff, the administrative board, the annual church conference, the Capital District and the Rio Texas Annual Conference by required deadlines.
- Compile and report weekly worship attendance by Tuesday of each week to the staff and for publication in service bulletins. Review ushers’ attendance report for accuracy.
- Oversee volunteers who enter worship attendance information into the Shelby database system. Recruit, train and encourage volunteers to assist with data input and analysis.
- Work with ministry leaders to gather and enter Sunday School attendance for database input.
- Work with Worship + 2 Connection Activation team to enter and update information into Shelby such as volunteer positions, discipleship participation, spiritual gifts and classes taken and report as needed to ministry leaders.
- Maintain accurate address and e-mail mailing lists for ministries, and generate reports as requested.
- Monitor Constant Contact email unsubscribes and follow-up as needed.
- Enter specific notes and updates to help pastors and ministry staff with member and visitor communications.
- Work with IT staff on Shelby updates.
- Maintain skills and participate in regular training of Shelby Systems, with a special emphasis on upcoming transition from Shelby v5 to ShelbyNext. Be prepared to train and serve as a resource to staff on the use of Shelby.
- As the Membership Secretary, this person is expected to attend the monthly full staff meetings, quarterly administrative board meetings, and the church conference annual meeting. Presentation of reports may be required.
Member Status Review:
- Track, contact, and report on members who have become inactive in the life of the church. Must make inquiry calls that require diplomacy, empathy and confidentially.
- Create lists of inactive members and send annual letters to them to determine their status. Obtain input from other staff, and create the final lists required by the formal removal process.
- Complete the annual report of inactive members to the Charge or Church Conference. The Charge or Church Conference removes members from the active rolls of Bethany, after presentation at three successive annual meetings.
- Perform reconciliation and validation reports as needed.
Printing and Mailing Duties:
- Act as the first point of contact for print requests and scheduling.
- Oversee part-time print shop staff and volunteers, ensuring quality of print jobs and that deadlines are met. Order paper and printing supplies as needed.
- Set aside additional hours for print-heavy seasons such as stewardship, Christmas and Easter.
- Work with IT and facilities staff to maintain necessary software updates, and needed machinery maintenance and repairs.
- Maintain knowledge of USPS Bulk Mailing rules, practices and procedures, as well as Shelby Mailroom software.
- Generate needed mailing reports for items such as the Epistle newsletter and other church-wide or department mailings. Resolve questions or problems relating to mailing label or database formats or changes
- Prepare and process baptism certificates and marriage licenses, keeping both a printed and digital archive of this information.
- Develop and maintain a detailed Member & Attendance Practice and Procedures manual.
- Participate as needed in special department projects.
- Assist with graphic design and preparing documents to be print-ready as needed (Publisher experience helpful).
- Occasional support of office and receptionist functions.
- Must have well-developed interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail and the ability to anticipate, initiate and follow-up on needed work.
- Strong organizational skills required with the ability to meet deadlines.
- This person should have a comprehensive understanding of the Bethany congregation and its ministries.
- Demonstrates the desire to serve the Bethany community, the pastors, staff and other contacts through a supportive and friendly attitude.
- Must accept direction and feedback well and be capable of training others with patience and clear communication.
- At least three years of office operations experience, preferably in a church or nonprofit as a volunteer or staff person.
- Database management experience required. Will train on Shelby software as needed.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel required.
- Professional appearance and communication style.
- Possess a servant heart and abide by Bethany’s Staff Covenant of Conduct.
- Ability to lift approximately 15 – 20 lbs for office work.
- Experience with Shelby software and printing experience.
- Ability to work in Microsoft Publisher or other graphic design programs, and ability to create print-ready documents.
- Experience with mass mailings and USPS guidelines.
- An active participant at Bethany United Methodist Church.
- Spiritual gifts of administration, knowledge, helps and serving.
For an employment application, contact: Jill Johnson, Director of Inviting Ministries, 512-258-6017 x229