Date: October 2018
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Status: 40 hours/week
Application Deadline: December 10, 2018
Responsible for managing the business affairs of the church in the areas of finance and budgeting, human resources, insurance, fund raising, communications, office management, information technology, facilities and equipment, risk management, insurance, security, and food services. Works closely with the Lead Pastor and Administrative Board (the governing body of the church), especially the Lead Team, Finance Committee and Trustees. Supervises department heads for the above functions. Perform special projects as needed by the Lead Pastor, other Executive Committee Members and the administrative committees of the church.
Establish a level of excellence and effective performance in the Administrative and Support Functions for a large church (3000+ members and 1220+ weekly worship attendance) that smoothly and effectively enables the ministry goals and purposes to be met. Provide effective leadership, problem solving and management skills to accomplish these tasks while building teamwork and cooperation. Be actively involves and informed about all programs and services.
Business and Financial Management and Oversight
- Develop, manage and direct a program of GAAP-compliant fund accounting.
- Oversee and supervise the Finance Functions of the church including Payroll and Benefits. Specific oversight of finances for Inviting Ministries, Membership, Hospitality, Operations, Administrative, General Church & Communication program areas.
- Monitor monthly expenses vs budget and advise Lead Pastor and the Executive Committee and the Finance Chair of problems or concerns.
- Develop with appropriate staff overall ministry budget and monitor expenses throughout the year.
- Authorized to sign PR’s & expenses along with the Executive Committee Pastors.
- Aid Lead Pastor and Finance Chair in developing Annual Budget for submission and approval by the Finance Committee and then the Administrative Board.
- Provide administrative oversight and support of fundraising including annual generosity programs and capital programs as needed. Provide analysis of giving trends as requested.
- Serve as Ex-Officio non-voting staff to the Finance Committee
Generosity and Stewardship
- Establish and lead Generosity Team to provide an annual Operating Funding Drive and provide year-around Generosity Focus.
- Work closely with the Worship Leadership, Hospitality and Communication Teams on the annual Operating Budget Fund Drive.
- Establish legacy giving programs
- Serve as Human Resources Manager supporting HR policies and overseeing salary administration.
- Ensure regulatory compliance in all HR operations
- Conduct general and specific salary surveys and analysis of salary and benefit costs for ministry changes and additions
- Serve as Overall Administrator for the Safe Gatherings process to protect children, youth and vulnerable adults.
Operations and Facilities
Represent the church and its interests before external community groups and government agencies/governing bodies. Serve as corporate representative in legal proceedings and matters with outside counsel.
- Oversee Operations and serve as Ex-Officio non-voting Staff to the Trustees. Work closely with the Trustees Chair, developing the agenda for monthly meetings.
- Develop and submit to the Trustees for approval, the Facilities Annual Budget. The approved budget is submitted to the Finance Committee and on to the Administrative Board for approval.
- Establish Safety and Security Plans and monitor for compliance.
- Provide the facilities and operations undergirding for Bethany’s Ministries.
- Support Facilities to strive to continue providing the “WOW” factor to our facilities, grounds and services.
- Support the changes to the Communications Team and Ministry recommended by the consultant
- Implement and fund the Communication Changes
- Develop and implement a Church-wide Communications Plan
- Supervise the Mailing and Print Administrator
- Manage E-mail and Web Services for the church, providing e-mail to the staff and web services for all ministries.
- Provide for the weekly publication of the Epistle and the weekly Worship Bulletins.
- Monitor publications for content and maintenance of agreed upon publication standards.
- With Office Manager set and monitor our facility use policies
- Supervise the Office manager and functions of scheduling and Office reception
- Conduct special projects at the direction of the Lead Pastor and Executive Committee
- Maintain and update Financial, Personnel and other Church Policies.
- Assume staff management for the Columbarium Facility and its separate funding.
- Serve on the Staff Executive Committee, the Church Lead Team, Finance Committee. Support as requested the other Administrative committees of the Ad. Board.
- Other projects as directed by the Lead pastor, Executive Pastors or the Administrative Committees of the Administrative Board
- Oversee the transition and implementation of the new Shelby Next church Management System
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college of university.
- Experience of 5 –10 years’ experience working at a church in volunteer leadership functions. Actually working on a church staff desired
- Desired – working knowledge of UMC Ministries and UMC church operations
- Experience of 5 –15 years in industry, government or commerce in various leadership management and supervisory positions are desirable. HR experience is desirable.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast moving environment while driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- A heart for the last, least and lost, patience, integrity and Christian Character
- Committed to Discipleship Development for self and staff
- Well-developed interpersonal skill and communication skills
- Experience with Communications, writing, advertising and planning desirable
- Professional appearance and manner.
- Self-Starter with demonstrated good planning , organizational and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to teach and coach effectively
- Computer literate, specifically MS Word & Excel
- Desired – acquainted with computer data base manipulation and programs like Excel, PowerPoint & familiarity with special church software like Shelby Church Systems especially Financials like General Ledger, Payroll, Contributions, Giving and Membership Sections.
- Ability to manage volunteer organizations and teams
- Experienced in teambuilding and teamwork
- Ability to lift 15-20 lbs.
Contact: Tom Deviney, Lead Pastor or Patti Breaux, Administrative. Assistant, 512-258-6017