Date: February 2019
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Status: 40 hours/week
Application Deadline: Thursday, Feb 28, 2019
Bethany United Methodist Church has an opportunity for an experienced Administrative Executive to join our leadership team. This position is responsible for managing the business affairs of our large church (3000+ members and weekly worship attendance of 1220+) in the areas of finance and budgeting, human resources, fund raising, communications, office management, information technology, facilities and equipment, risk management, insurance, security, and food services. This person will work closely with the Lead Pastor and Administrative Board, Lead Team, as well as the Finance and Trustee Committees. Supervises department heads for the above functions.
Must be an outgoing, self-starting person who demonstrates ability to work the full breadth of the Bethany congregation and ministries. Must have experience of five to ten years working on a church staff or in volunteer leadership positions, or five to fifteen years in industry, government or commerce in various leadership management and supervisory positions. Human resources and communications experience are desirable. Experience working on a church staff is also desired.
Business and Financial Management and Oversight
- Develop, manage and direct a program of GAAP-compliant fund accounting.
- Oversee and supervise the Finance Functions of the church.
- Develop with appropriate staff overall ministry budget and monitor expenses throughout the year.
Generosity and Stewardship
- Establish and lead Generosity Team to provide an annual Operating Funding Drive and provide year-around Generosity Focus.
- Work closely with the Worship Leadership and Hospitality on the annual Operating Budget Fund Drive.
- Serve as Human Resources Manager supporting HR operations, policies, overseeing salary administration and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Serve as Overall Administrator for the Safe Gatherings process to protect children, youth and vulnerable adults.
Operations and Facilities
- Oversee Operations and serve as Ex-Officio non-voting Staff to the Trustees. Represent the church and its interests before external community groups and government agencies/governing bodies.
- Develop and submit to the Trustees for approval, the Facilities Annual Budget.
- Support Communications Manager, Communications Team and Ministry and the Church-wide Communications Plan.
- Supervise the Office Manager and functions of scheduling and Office reception.
- With Office Manager set and monitor facility use policies.
- Serve on the Staff Executive, Finance, Trustees Committees and the Church Lead Team.
- Conduct special projects at the direction of the Lead Pastor and Executive Committee.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college of university.
- Experience of 5 –10 years’ experience working at a church as a Business Administrator or in volunteer leadership functions. Actually working on a church’s staff desired.
- Experience of 5 –15 years in industry, government or commerce in various leadership management and supervisory positions are desirable. HR experience is desirable.
- Well-developed interpersonal skill and communication skills Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast moving environment while driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrate resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Experienced in team-building and teamwork.
- A heart for the last, least and lost, patience, integrity and Christian Character.
- Self-Starter with demonstrated good planning , organizational and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and coach effectively.
- Computer literate, specifically MS Suite of Programs.
- Desired – acquainted with computer data base manipulation and programs.
- Ability to lift 15-20 lbs.
For a detailed job description and employment application, contact:
Tom Deviney, Lead Pastor or Patti Breaux, Administrative. Assistant, 512-258-6017